Saturday, January 19, 2013

A super lazy whole grain bread from a mix


This is a dark/black bread popular in Scandinavia. You can often find smallish rye loaves of these precut super thin breads in the supermarket. They appear to be used for making dainty little sandwiches like smoked salmon. But you can also make them yourself with this great mix from Ikea. It's called Brodmix Flerkorn.




This is a case where it's cheaper to buy the mix than it is to stock all the ingredients that would go into the loaf. I wish I could remember how much I paid for this mix (makes one loaf), but I don't. I want to say 2.99? I will update the price when I buy some again at my next visit to IKEA.

This really is as easy as making pancakes from a mix. Well, easier as you have to stand, pour, watch and flip pancakes. With this bread you quite literally shake, add water, close, shake again, pour it into a greased bread pan, let it rise and then bake. No kneading, no nothing. You don't even need any dishes other than the pan to bake it in as you mix it right in the box! Seriously!

So, what is in this bread?

Here's the ingredients: Wheat flour, wheat flakes, rye flakes, course rye flour, sunflower kernels, wheat starch, linseed, malt (from barley), sourdough powder (rye flour), salt, dried yeast.

Now, I can't be 100% sure it's whole wheat flour, but I think it is. If not, it's still chock full of great stuff and provides a good source of protein and dietary fiber. Take a look at the nutritional facts.



See how easy it is to make? I just add water to the milk like carton, shake and then pour it out into the pan.  The rising time is short (45 minutes) and then you bake it for an hour.



I'm showing some pictures of it as it should look in the pan after mixing (in a greased pan).



And how much it rises in 45 minutes. It doesn't rise much.  See how it is now to the rim of the pan? That's it. It won't grow much more in the oven either. You can even see in the picture on the box, that it's not a tall bread, but that bit of rising does help in slicing it as otherwise it would be like slicing a brick.


My older son doesn't really like bread, but he likes this. It goes great with cheeses and spreads. My husband eats this as sandwich bread. He is European though and didn't grow up on Wonder Bread. It  might be a bit too nutty for sandwiches if you aren't used to it, but it's a favorite in our house. And super great for those days I'm just not up for making a detailed loaf.



Notice there are no funny ingredients in that list I typed out. It really is as if I made it myself - just cheaper which is funny to say as it's not cheap, but for me to stock up on specialty flours and powders and flakes would mean a big up front investment, storage investment and then hoping I use it all up before it goes bad. So, in this case, it's cheaper to buy the mix than to stock all the ingredients as I would never make this or like things often enough to justify large quantities of most of those ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. IKEA use to sell another product just like this but it was taken off. I am hoping that this is still available. Do you know if it is still?

    ReplyDelete