Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Time to make the donuts, um scratch that! Time to make the bread!

So, on Saturday, I made 2 loaves of bread, but they werent ready to eat until Sunday. Guess what? They'll be gone after lunch today (Tuesday).

I also made FOUR loaves of banana blueberry bread and guess what? That's gone already! Now, I did give one loaf away, but that's one a day that was eaten! Wow!!!

Now I have to decide, do I make the same daily bread to get it better? Or do I try something new? I think I'm going to give this Pain de Campagne Honfleur one more shot this time around as I've learned so much each time.

For a sweet bread, I think I'm going to make a coconut banana bread, yeasted. Sounds intriguing and it's whole grain bread too. AND another round of the blueberry banana bread as we need to give another bread as a gift for a thank you.  Of course, I'll have my little helper too! He loves it when I'm baking.

I am also going to do an experiment with my scale. Weighing ingredients is way more accurate, and about half my baking books use weights and all my European style books do. However, I learned today that either my scale is 'off' or that my salt is wet. I guess I shouldn't be surprised if my salts are heavy as we were without AC for over a month, and I had the AC off for 3 days with the cooler weather the last few days. Salt especially absorbs moisture. But now I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that in regard to recipes.

Here's the dilemma: let's say a recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of table salt. That typically weighs 18 grams. Well, I weighed my salt by tablespoon 5 times this morning to get an average. First time I got 26 grams, second time 28, third time 32, fourth time 30, and fifth time 28 grams. Which averages out to be 29 grams per tablespoon. That's not just a little variation. That is a huge difference. If it's that my salt is just wet from humidity, then when a recipe calls for 12 grams of salt or 2 teaspoons, if I were to go by weights, that's only a 1 teaspoon and 1/3 of a teaspoon. That much of a difference could make it taste a little salty.

Now, I don't have these issues with liquid measurements or flour measurements. So, now I need to figure out if this is a wetness problem or perhaps my scale isn't sensitive enough at very low weights? (though it had a plate on the scale too). Hmmm...

But, enough experimenting and chitter chatter. I have breads to start and a basement to sort and clean. My oldest is going to just love me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment